Housing Support Worker (Full Time)
Aunt Leah’s Place is a non-profit organization that helps prevent children in foster care from becoming homeless and mothers in need from losing custody of their children. To support youth on their journey to self-sufficiency, we provide supported housing, job training, and coaching on essential life skills.
Job Summary: As part of the Aunt Leah’s Society team, the Housing Program Support Worker is to ensure the safety and well-being of Participants, transitioning out of foster care, or at risk of homelessness on their journey to growth and self–sufficiency with one of the many goals being that of preventing homelessness. This program offers shared and independent living in stable and affordable housing at the Lale House and two Supportive suites within the community. The Housing Support Worker will offer residents direct one to one, personalized training on life skills, offer educational guidance, employment training or referrals to other Aunt Leah’s programs. From a strengths based approach and intervention will also work to identify strengths, issues and areas of risks, and will assist, coach, motivate residents in establishing and maintaining their short –term and long term goals and strategies within program guidelines.
Reports To: Housing Coordinator
- 1-2 years of post-secondary education in Child & Youth Care or equivalent with experience or a relevant combination of education and experience and general suitability
Skills and Knowledge:
- Communication (Verbal & Written)
- Ability to follow and implement program policies and procedures
- Interpersonal Abilities & Team Work Skills
- Cultural Sensitivity and Awareness
- Crisis Management/Conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work independently
- Solid time management skills and ability to have a solid self-care plan
- Person Centered Approach
- Flexibility/Adaptability in managing multiple priorities
- Ability to work in a stressful environment
- Planning/Organizing & Budgeting Skills
- Report Writing & Documentation
- Ability to teach and mentor life-skills
- Computer/Technical Literacy
- Trauma Informed practice.
- Motivational Interviewing
- Undergo and maintain satisfactory Criminal Record check
- Follow Aunt Leah’s Code of Ethics
- Follow Aunt Leah’s Policies and Procedures
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License with business insurance and $5 million liability coverage
- Access to own vehicle and produce clear driving abstract
- First Aid Level C with CPR
- Food Safe
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention
- Mental Health First Aid
- Addictions & Substance Use Training
- Overdose Rapid Response Training
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct Care (Including One to One Support): Supports, encourages and motivates participants, through developing a trusting relationship. Key areas of support are as follows:
- Parenting Skills: (how to support a family in a healthy manner, ages and stages of child development, etc.)
- Job searching/maintaining skills (job search, resume preparation, job interview preparation, and completing employment applications, support maintaining employment)
- Household maintenance (basic cooking skills, menu planning, house cleaning, laundry, personal hygiene, grocery shopping, etc.)
- Financial management (opening bank accounts, Child Tax benefit, daycare subsidies, filing income tax, paying bills, budgeting, saving, obtaining social insurance numbers, setting up direct deposit, etc.)
- Interpersonal skills (developing and maintaining healthy relationships, conflict resolution, seeking assistance and support from friends and professionals as necessary, etc.)
- Health and personal habits (training and education in basic health care, development of responsible sexual practices, accessing additional services such as Mental Health/A&D Counseling)
- Leisure activities (learning how to locate, use, develop and maintain healthy ways to utilize recreational time)
- Education/vocational upgrading (assistance and support in obtaining appropriate training, supporting participants in making contact with appropriate educational resources, Aunt Leah’s Place Supporting Education for Foster Youth, and school registration)
- Cultural Connectivity (assistance and support around connecting with their Heritage and participating in the cultural practices of their home (or identified home) communities.
2. Direct Care (other):
- Ensures that Aunt Leah’s Lale House rules and policies are followed and implemented in a consistent manner
- Responsible for storage of food, meal planning and preparation according to the Aunt Leah’s Lale House policy and procedure manual
- Oversees and assists with young adults in meal preparation according to Canada Food Guide
- Completes additional cleaning duties as directed by Supervisor
- Diffuses any crisis situations
- Involved with tracking outcomes measurement (e.g. health and safety, changes in demographics, changes in employment and education status)
- Transportation of young adults to appointments via own vehicle or public transportation
- Problem solve, coach and motivate participants with their personalized service plan and goals.
- Ensures that expenses follow budget guidelines as outlined in the Aunt Leah’s Lale House Manual (petty cash, monetary incentives for participants, etc.)
Health and Safety:
- Housing Support Workers ensure that Aunt Leah’s Lale House is maintained to Society standards, according to the Aunt Leah’s policies and procedures manual; conducting regular emergency drills; checking safety devices weekly; ensuring that each participant is knowledgeable of fire exit routes and emergency drills
- Participates in the annual review of Aunt Leah’s Health and Safety Policy and Procedures
- Understands and follows work alone policy and procedure
- Communicates accurately and in writing that ensures seamless delivery of care between staff and professionals
- Completes report writing at professional standards (monthly reports, daily logs, critical & reportable incident reports within policy guidelines)
- Ensures all written records are to court standards
- Regularly updates and informs supervisor of Aunt Leah’s Lale House activities
- Liaises and seeks direction from Aunt Leah’s on-call supervisor after hours
- Follows procedures and protocols for reporting Critical and Reportable Incidents and contacts the appropriate authorities (on-call supervisor, MCFD After Hours, Police, Ambulance, Fire Department, etc.)
- Attend all team meetings and society meetings as directed by Supervisor
- Communicates with other professionals and tenants approved family members as required
- Researches community resources and makes information available to tenants and other staff members as appropriate
- Comply with the Good Neighbor Agreement from City of New Westminster and re-inforce agreement with participants.
- All information about participants in the program is strictly confidential both internally and externally
- Ensures all written material is locked in the office and all phone calls regarding participants take place in the office
This position requires some lifting of heavier objects.
- Aunt Leah’s Lale House is a supportive residential housing program for former youth in care; staff works alone.
- An average shift is 7.5 hour work day, 37.5 hours a week–flexibility in working weekends and evenings and on-call; scheduled at the discretion of the Supervisor.
This position may be required to perform other related duties that do not affect the nature of the work be performed
A comprehensive benefit package after 6 months of continuous employment that includes: dental, extended health care including vision care and prescription, RRSP after 1 year, personal time package, and employee discount at our Thrift Store.
Commensurate with qualifications.
How to apply:
If you meet the qualifications listed, and wish to work in a collaborative and supportive environment that offers ongoing professional development opportunities, please email your resume with a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also apply on our website at www.auntleahs.org . Short listed candidates will be contacted for interview. We thank all interested applicants in advance.